Subscribe for Your Free E- Book

Building Self Confidence E Book FREE!

Monday, March 28, 2011

What Has Golf Got to do With The Workplace? Life Coaching Questions.

Phyllis Reardon M.Ed.
Life Coach


Last week I had a wonderful opportunity to watch the best male golfers in the world. The best, the top, the most skilled in this game. As a lover of golf, this was amazing to me. Whatever your area of interest, it is a treat if you get the opportunity to observe the best at work; a chance to watch them display their skills.

As we walked toward #1 tee at the Bay Hill golf course we were preparing to watch the # 1 golfer hit his first drive of the day; finally I would see Tiger Woods in person.

As Tiger and two other greats made their way to the first tee, a loud buzz of chatter and cheers sounded from the hundreds gathered around to watch. Amazingly, just as the first player walked up to the tee box, a lone volunteer raised a wooden paddle in the air and the hundreds of spectators feel deadly silent…all that could be heard was the song of a single mocking bird from a nearby oak tree.

As we continued our walk around this magnificant course, the same process and procedure continued with consistency. I was observing something here that was, I thought, unique in sport. It didn’t happen last week when I went to see the the New York Yankees play. It didn’t happen when I saw the Tampa Bay Lightening. No it didn’t happen in baseball and hockey.

What I noticed, was the large degree of Respect; sure repect happens in these other sports but they are not designed with a focus on creating Respect.

Golf it seems fosters Respect between the players and also within the spectors or gallery. It is said to be a gentleman’s game. Maybe I can freely say a gentle person’s game. It is indeed gentle from whatever gender your focus.

As I began my reflection at the end of my day I was hit with the thought of a comparision between Golf and Work.

1. Does this repect exist in our workplace?

2. Do we all sit or stand quitely when an employer/employee or co-worker speaks?

3. Do we notice the different skills of each of our employees or co workers? Some may be great long hitters, while others maybe good at their short game?

4. Do we cheer when a co-worker figuratively hits a long drive or has a hole-in- one?

5. Is the workplace a gentleman’s game?

6. If each week was a tournament, who would win the trophy this week?

7. How can Respect be increased at your place of work?
 
 
I got to see Tiger Woods and I got to observe the best golfers right in their workplace....a respectful workplace. 
 
There are lessons to be learned from Golf.
 
Have a respectful week.
 
Any questions please email me.
 
phyllis@coachphyllis.com

1 comment: